Making Sense of Color
- Lesson Plan
- Feedback Form
White light has the rainbow hidden within it, but so does black. Understand why with this hands on activity.
- White basket-style coffee filters
- Clear plastic cup
- Science notebook or lab sheet
- Black felt tip pen or marker (not permanent). Pilot Razor Point or other water based markers work well.
- Other water based colors to experiment with
- Editable Lab Sheet (if using)
You may want to introduce your class to color and light with the Bill Nye Light and Color video.
GBO suggestion - Do this activity as a station in a rotation with several other light investigation activities.
Suggested activities to create stations are:
- How does light work? Angles of Reflection
- How does light work? Making a Water Prism
We suggest testing your markers before doing this with your students.
Follow directions for “Black is Black - Or is it?” activity sheet below.