Toilet Paper Solar System - Scale Model
- Lesson Plan
- Feedback Form
The distances between our planets are so vast they are almost incomprehensible. Visualize the expansiveness of our “cosmic neighborhood” with a roll of toilet paper!
5 min. prep time, 30 min. class time
3-5, Middle School (6-8)
Utah Core Standards:
- A Toilet Paper Solar System (grades 3-5) Instruction Sheet for teacher or Toilet Paper Solar System (grades 6-8) instruction sheet for teacher and student groups (use for grades 6-8)
- One role of toilet paper per student group
- Stickers for planets or felt tip marker to mark planets on toilet paper
- Clear tape to repair toilet paper tears
- For older kids you can have them perform their own conversions and complete the worksheet in the questions found in Toilet Paper Solar System (grades 6-8)
- Follow A Toilet Paper Solar System Scale Model Instruction Sheet or Toilet Paper Solar System (grades 6-8) instruction sheet.
- Conclude your activity and discussion with Bill Nye Demonstrates Distance Between Planets video or To Scale video (find in the video tab above)